Wednesday, May 28, 2008

First of Three by Paul Auster


I've been threatening to read this trilogy to pad my numbers and I've finally made good with the completion of City of Glass, which brings me to fifteen books (one short of where I should have been last month at this time). Daniel Quinn is the main character: his initials are the same as Don Quixote, he goes on an adventure, like Don Quixote, and me might be a little off his rocker, like Don Quixote. Did he write the story? Did the Paul Auster that is in the story write it or is he like Cervantes' Cid Hamete Benengeli? There is a conversation between Quinn and Auster in the book that steers the reader into this train of thought, as does the closing, but it isn't resolved, thankfully.

I needed something that was short and fun for Memorial Day and this story did the trick. I'm hoping to get through the next two soon but I'm not sure I have the time. Rather than start Ghosts last night, I read Norman Mailer's 1957 essay, The White Negro, for my research paper.

No comments: