Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Three days, one book



I have to thank Jeremy for introducing me to Scott Heim. He has long been a fan of the author and now I can see why.

Midwest mothers, don't read this one (or maybe you should, but brace yourselves).

If you asked me, I'd say this one was about loneliness, alienation, and not fitting in. The subject matter was "dark"; the writing was remarkable. My favorite alliterative phrase was "pastel pterodactyl"; my favorite religous reference the stigmata manifesting itself as nosebleeds, lesions on a gentleman infected with AIDS, and bloodied nether-regions following a violent encounter with a psychotic "john".

This certainly isn't reading for everyone but it's great nonetheless. I plan on accompanying Jeremy to Scott Heim's reading at Elliott Bay on Thursday, 3/20. Y'all should come.

2 comments:

Winiznayne said...

Three days, one book? You're on your way! Your blog is cool because you put pictures of the books on it.

jeremy said...

So Thursday--meet for McCormick and Schmick's $2 burger happy hour and a beer then head down to Elliot Bay?
Glad you liked the book--its intense, but I think well worth the read.