Saturday, March 29, 2008

Multiple posts, multiple books



After a trip to Elliott Bay that set our household back about $100, I found myself the proud owner of three new books:

1) The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Jean-Dominique Bauby
2) American Gods - Neil Gaiman
3) The Last Harvest - Witold Rybczynski

Plus the partial owner of fourth, entitled The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy. I assume Risajoy will read it first since it's her spring break and she'll blast through the stack she got today in a matter of days. I've never heard of Ms. Dundy but the book is part of the NYRB's collection which I've recently discovered (thanks to the Edmund Wilson book I read a while back and the journal n+1).

Anyhow, I spent some time on the couch, avoiding Joseph Conrad, and padding my statistics with Diving Bell. I loved the movie and had been wanting to read the book ever since.

2 comments:

Winiznayne said...

You're really kickin' that 50 books' ass! Diving Bell is one of Sheila's favorite books. I haven't read it or seen it.

Intrepidflame said...

Julian Schanbal (Before Night Falls and Basquiat) has made this movie. I have it, but haven't had to watch it yet. Probably this week. I may have to read the book, if the movie is as good as I think it will be.