Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Books

I have completed book three for year, which keeps me on pace for my goal of fifty. Number four will be another for my class but will keep me on pace for January.

3) Refabricating Architecture by Stephen Kieran and James Timberlake

This book is basically a call for architecture to adapt mass production techniques used for airplanes, cars and ships. Rather than typical mass production, they envision a system much like Dell computers where people "order" custom houses that are assembled mostly in warehouses then erected on site. According to the authors, a concentration on the process of fabrication and communication between the architect -- who acts as a facilitator for all dimensions of the construction process -- and the rest of the designers and builders is key to this development. It's interesting, especially the scenario at the end where the Boeing factory in Everett serves as the hub for these operations.

Book four will be The City of Tomorrow and its Planning by Le Corbusier.

Oh, and Wayne just informed me that our soon to be ex-president is quite the reader when he puts his *mind* to it...

No comments: