Thursday, April 16, 2009

Books 10-12

I just realized that I shorted myself a book...

Book 10 should have been number 8. The title is Cradle to Cradle and it's a sort of "pop" environmentalism/consumerism book that I read for class. I consider it "pop" as opposed to academic because it is meant for the general reader, which is, in this case, a good thing. The book itself is waterproof and made from a synthetic material (no trees!) that can be recycled as a plastic. The content of the book pushes for a sort of harmony between industry and the environment that could lead to eco-friendly consumers' paradise. And while I don't necessarily condone such a result, I do agree with many of their assertions. For example, they urge manufacturers to consider not only what goes into a product but how the used product is disposed/recycled/returned to the earth. Seems easy enough, right?

Books 11 and 12 were Maurice Merleau-Ponty's The World of Perception and Saul Bellow's first novel, Dangling Man. The former is a transcript of a series of M-P's lectures that were broadcast on French radio in 1948. He's a phenomenologist and argues for a return to understanding the world through our senses rather than depending on science to describe the essence of things. Bellow's book relates to M-P in that it is written as a journal of a man who is out of work and waiting to be drafted into the army during WWII (hence the use of the word "dangling"). The protagonist, Joseph, is very much aware of the world around him and is constantly searching out the meaning of his existence, much like Roquentin in Sartre's Nausea.

I previously wrote that these sorts of tales don't sit well when one is in my current state of "waiting," but I take it back after reading Bellow. As always, he connects to a world that I know and don't know; a time and place (early mid-century Chicago) that I miss even having never experienced it. The feelings of his 28 year-old narrator are familiar and the depth of his (protagonist/author) knowledge make me envious.

At this pace I may get back on track by the end of the month. As always, we'll see.

No comments: