Wednesday, February 4, 2009

35/365

I really wanted to post these side by side but the blog template is not really conducive to such a layout. I always snicker at the Ferrari and Maserati dealership at 12th and Madison but, upon biking past it tonight, I thought of the Hopper painting below (he has a show at SAM that runs until March 1, 2009).

I believe it's worth thinking about the difference between the 2009 photo and the 1942 painting, keeping in mind for whom/what we build cities. Do we build for people or cars?

Though Seattle kowtows to drivers 99% of the time, some headway is being made for those moving about the city by their own power. For example, I used one of the new bike corrals this morning in front of Cafe Presse. Where before only one car could park, there is now room for eight or nine bikes.


No comments: