Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Know your Food


Living across the street from the Madison Market rules. Its neighborhood feel, wide selection of produce, policy of encouraging customers to bring their own bags, and reasonable prices are several reasons that I shop their almost exclusively. Plus, it gives my hipness and credibility a boost, which is something that must never be underestimated. Oh, I almost forgot the fact that The New Yorker and Adbusters are some of the magazines on display at the checkout stands. I told you it was cool.

Despite all of these characterisics, my favorite is that it's a literal cornucopia of local food.

Ever since reading an article in The New Yorker about Whole Foods, I've done what I can to purchase local food when that option is available. I had never thought about the distance food travels, and thus the energy consumed, before reaching my plate. Of course I had heard of organic, thought it sounded swell, but didn't realize that was only part of issue, the part that was less important to me. This article cleared it right up and I would encourage any interested party to read it diligently!

Or, for those auditory leaners in the house, here is a talk by Michael Pollan which I heard on the radio a few nights ago. I actually just downloaded the mp3 myself and burned my mom a copy, which I'll be mailing her tomorrow.

No comments: