Monday, July 28, 2008

A Smile and a Shoeshine


Not me; I don't smile nor do I wear shoes that require shining...I do read though and Death of a Salesman brings me one book closer to my goal. This is the first play I've read this year and probably the first since I was in high school. I actually think I read this one in high school but am wondering why; how could a teenager possibly understand this story?

I found myself generally loathing Willy Loman but at the same time pitying him, even though he is a pathetic simpleton. Maybe this characteristic warrants some sympathy but, more than that, it awakens the Texan in me that just wants to shake him until he wakes up. His confidence, stubbornness, and tendency to exaggerate are completely off-putting but I have to admit that his innocence and naivete stir up a hint of emotion, though I can't say if it is jealousy, romanticism, or rage -- I'm sure I felt each of these at some point while reading the play. Anyhow, I guess that's part of what makes Arthur Miller great.

4 comments:

Winiznayne said...

Yeah, I remember reading that play in junior college and only getting it later on. Miller's pretty good. You should see the movie with Dustin Hoffman as Willie and John Malkovich as Biff.

I think I might start making my blog look like yours. It's good practice to reflect on the books after you read them and I haven't been doing so.

liz reagan said...

Are you a subscriber to "Dissent" magazine? or do you read it online?

liz reagan said...

Have you read Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged?" I didn't see it in your list but may have missed it.

Keith said...

I don't have a subscription to Dissent though I think I'm going to get one. Never read Atlas Shrugged but Risa has a copy of it.