Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Nonlinear History, what?



I'm breaking a rule here and calling this book read when I still have thirty pages to go; I'm going to finish it before I go to bed though. And, really, I'm going above and beyond what was assigned as reading for my class since only portions of the book were assigned. Anyway, it's one of the most fascinating works I've ever read and you eggheads out there would dig it. The text is small and the author is a genius so be aware. My professor has refrained from giving us a long lecture on "complexity theory," which is, as I understand it, De Landa's field, but I think it can perhaps be summed up as "a unified theory of everything" (are those song lyrics?).

Another reason I'm making this post pre-completion is that I need to detach myself from the computer but have the urge to stay in front it. Why? Because I've been working pretty hard on my other site and am becoming obsessed with the number of hits I get (330 as of this writing). A lot of the "work" that goes into it involves finding other blogs/sites that have common interests and trying to network with them. It has worked though; I've had about 130 unique visitors this week!

So De Landa is book 10. I need to be at 16 by the end of April to be on pace. I'll hopefully finish The Watchmen this week and maybe some other reading for class. Read. Eat. Sleep. And blog, I guess.